Tuesday, February 25, 2014

5 Meaningful Ways I'll Simplify My Life

Last month sometime I began simplifying my life a bit. Sometimes a shelf at a time, sometimes a bigger project. In all honesty organization can be the key to life more simplified. I haven't gotten around yet to finishing that organization project (though I'll be taking the next thirty days and doing just that). 

I'd set a goal to loose some weight this year. To finally (it's been a goal for a couple years) get down to that long ago size 8. Well, I have a lot of pounds left to go until I'm at that point but I have managed to loose two pounds since January 1st! OK, nope, that's not a big weight loss but I'm proud of it. I did it in healthy ways and without much exercise because I prefer to exercise outside and it's just too darned cold for that.

There are a few other things I'll be doing this year to help simplify my life and I thought I'd share them with you now.

1. I will put it in God's hands. This is easier said than done for me. I mean it. I'm a bit OCD (OK those of you who know me personally the gales of laughter can die down now) and somewhat of a control freak (again with the laughter?). I worry a subject to death all the time, every day, all day. If I'm not talking about it I'm journal about it. Or I'm thinking about it. From this day forth instead of praying: "God I need You to help me with the pros and cons of this and that" my prayers will be: "God, I know You know what this family and I need. I trust in your judgement always and believe that when the time comes the needs will be fulfilled in the best way for us." 

He knows what it is I'm in need of right now. The things my children need versus the things I think they may need. He knows my concerns over my husband's health and all the things that go along with that. When, in the past, I've handed things over to Him because I didn't feel strong enough or smart enough to decide on subject or act on it He's always been there to guide and protect us. He's always made sure that one way or another we've never had to do something drastic. And for that I am thankful and to Him I hand all of my worries and concerns and await his guidance.

2. I will speak to my husband more about the things that are bothering me. I have a tendency to bottle things up. Nightmares, bad feelings, worries, stress... You name it and I bottle it up. Things that on their own matter little in the grand scheme of things but when you add them all together tend to build to an exploding point. This causes me to loose my temper and snap or yell when it's not necessary. When I speak to my husband about these things as they crop up I always feel better, I always know that he's there to share the burden of my worries or the pain of recurring nightmares. I've neglected this for many years and sometimes I make the effort to do it only to back off because it seems so "silly" to me to talk about these things.

My husband is a wonderful man, a loving husband, and a devoted father. He's my partner on this planet and it's time I start allowing him to protect me as we both vowed to allow him to do on our wedding day. He is the only man I've ever been able to speak to candidly about my feelings, my relationship with God, my worries, and my nightmares. I know all of this and I'm glad to have such a good man in my life.

3. I will yell less and eventually on in emergency. I know I've been talking about this on and off for several months but I always back slide. Someone will do something silly on accident and out will pop that tone of voice that makes me cringe. I may not be able to stop completely yelling all at once but by the end of this year I will no longer yell unless need requires it. And I'm talking a need like a child running into the street or some other emergency. Yelling does not fix the issue it only compounds it.

4. I will combine as much as possible curriculum wise for my girls. Having Peanut study one subject and YCJ study another for History or Science is simply too distracting. I cannot combine these subjects for all three children (due to age differences) but I already have a plan in the works for next year for the girls concerning both of these subjects. I've also started having YCJ review phonics with Peanut as a way to help reinforce what YCJ already knows.

5. I will spend more time enjoying life instead of rushing through it. One would think that I, having been raised for half of my life in the relaxing climate of Kentucky away from the cities, would know the value of this and wouldn't ever allow myself to be rushed through life. But when you place me back in Michigan it seems as though life moves at a pace that I can't help but try to keep up with. There's a line from a song that goes: "rush and rush until life's no fun, all I really gotta do is live and die, but I'm in a hurry and don't know why." That seems to be me lately. On the days I remember to slow down I see the benefits of it and long for every day to be as relaxing as possible. 

Who says that every page in every lesson book must be completed by x date? Who says that just because you were invited to 7 different functions in as many days that you must attend them all, or even one of them? Who ever said that if you didn't keep up with the Jones' life wouldn't ever be good?

I'm ready to garden and get my hands dirty, teaching my children the satisfaction of eating something you've helped grow with your own two hands. I'm ready to watch the look of wonder come over their faces as they watch a butterfly come out of it's cocoon. I'm ready to simply sit by a stream and watch the water flow by without worrying that I have something I have to get to. And I'm ready to enjoy life again.

None of these things will happen overnight. None of these things will happen without my conscious effort to make them so. But, I'm willing to work at it to make my life more simple and my children's lives more enjoyable.

Here's hoping and praying that you're week's are off to a good start everyone. Here's to a life more simplified.

My other posts on simplifying my life:   
Making Things Simple
More Organization Please!
Organization = Simplified Life

I'm linking up today with Weird Unsocialized Homeschoolers for List It {Tuesday}



Find us on Facebook here or subscribe to the blog for tips on homeschooling, book reviews, how to get your children helping out in the kitchen, and to see many pictures of the cute kiddos, plus much more!

No comments:

Post a Comment