Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Four Little Ideas for Valentines Day

There's plenty of things that you can do for Valentines Day. But here are a few things we start with starting the first of February.



Make construction paper heart tree ornaments. We left our artificial (the "porch tree") Christmas tree up just for this purpose. I showed Peanut, and reminded ECJ and YCJ, how to make paper hearts. Then they made ornaments out of them. It looks cute plugged in (pre-wired tree) and it's pretty to look at during the day as well.

 Use hearts to make cat and mouse faces for either more decoration or construction paper pets! I didn't come up with this one, it was an idea and creations by YCJ. Now I have heart faced kitties playing with heart faced mice all over my home and found in some of the weirdest places ... like peaking out from under my bathroom door.

Make mailboxes for valentines (or mail) out of pasta boxes! When I was a child we made these a bit differently for our class parties. But, I liked this idea and we ran with it. All you need is an empty pasta box, scissors (and a knife for the adult if wanted), construction paper, glue, tape, and crayons. We did ours in stages but they could be done all at once. If you'd like to see my walk through for it you can check it out here. 

Make strawberry (or pink/red) pancakes. We prefer real strawberries but not inside of our pancakes. But, taking Nestle's Strawberry mix for milk and sprinkling a bit onto your pancake will make neat pink patterns and give them just a hint of strawberry flavoring. These were a BIG hit with all of the campers. I add butter to the pan for Peanut's pancakes because she likes the flavor cooked in not melted on top. She says it makes them "soggy".

We'll be doing more during the next nine days or so and I'll post a few other ideas next Tuesday. Linking up this week with Weird Unsocialized Homeschoolers for List It {Tuesday}.


 Find us on Facebook here or subscribe to the blog for tips on homeschooling, book reviews, how to get your children helping out in the kitchen, and to see many pictures of the cute kiddos, plus much more!





2 comments:

  1. I love the pancakes. I don't like whole fruit in my pancakes either. I hate the feeling of biting into something and having gunk squirt out. What great heart projects. I'm pinning this to the Mommy Monday Blog Hop Pinterest Board! thanks so much for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the pin! I had simply had the idea of the strawberry mix and wasn't sure it would work, when it did I was so excited! Pink pancakes without strawberry goo all over my pan

      Delete