Thursday, December 12, 2013

The Gift of ADHD - Book Review

A few weeks back, on a trip to the library, I stumbled over a book that really peaked my interest. I've read many books about ADHD over the years and "normally" the titles are boring and fail to interest me. I simply pick them up because I'm hoping to find some guidance and new ideas about how to handle ADHD in my home. This book was different right from the beginning. It was the first time I'd ever seen ADHD described this way in a title. It was also the first time that I have read a book about ADHD that took this point of view and held it the entire way through the book. It also provided a a unique set of activities for not only the child to do, but also for parents to do to help them see ADHD in a new light.

The book The Gift of ADHD (the link goes directly to Amazon and this is the second edition of this book, I read the first edition) was written by Lara Honos-Webb. If you look on Amazon here you will find several books and workbooks by this author all dealing with ADHD being a gift. She does not advocate for either medication or not using medication. It's considered a personal choice and her activities for the child and/or parent to do work whether you use medication or not. 

Each chapter of this book builds upon the next. The author never takes on a condescending tone and seems to genuinely want to help us change the way we look at ADHD and show us how to see it as a gift not a deficit. 

This book and probably both the workbooks (including the one she has for teens) will be added to my bookshelf soon. A lot of her methods and activities can be applied to children with ADD and possibly many other issues as well. I completely loved this book and if I could afford it I would be giving each of my friends with children who have ADHD or ADD a copy of it for Christmas. I would recommend anyone who has a child with ADHD (or ADD) to buy this book. It's only around $10 and you'll find every penny well spent.

**I was not compensated in any way for this book review. All opinions here are my own. I am also not compensated for using Amazon links, but I absolutely love their services!**

Find us on Facebook here or subscribe to the blog for tips on homeschooling, book reviews, how to get your children helping out in the kitchen, and to see many pictures of the cute kiddos, plus much more!

No comments:

Post a Comment